Lately, the most common question people ask me is, "How's married life?".
I guess it's expected that people will ask it since we are newlyweds and all. Of course, my answer is always that it's great. But while Ryan was out of town last week for work, I was able to think a little deeper about my answer. It is the second time he's had to go on a business trip in the past two months, and let's just say, it was hard on me. I hate being alone, and I especially hate being without him. I missed him A LOT while he was gone, to say the least. I am thankful that I have such an amazing family that takes good care of me and keeps me company when he's gone.
It's crazy to think how much my life has changed in the past few months. It's weird to think that just 4 1/2 months ago, I was still living at my parent's house. I would see Ryan every night for a couple of hours after work and then he'd have to drive me back home late at night. Now, it seems like Ryan and I have been together forever, and it's difficult to imagine my life without him. I love that now I get to fall asleep next to him every night, and wake up to his kiss every morning. I love the quote "Being married is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend every night of the week". It's true. It's the best thing. Having someone to come home to is so awesome.
I have such a patient, loving, and kind husband. I try my best to be what my idea of a good wife would be, but I'm still learning how exactly to do that. I know I still have a LOT to learn. I can be a pain sometimes, but he is so patient and he still loves me. We have already had to face a few of life's challenges, but we have been able to face them together and I have seen our love grow in the process.
During our interview with President Briggs in our Stake Presidency before we got married, I asked President Briggs if he loves his wife more now than when he married her? He was kind to answer my somewhat weird question. But when we got engaged, there were so many people that told me, "This is the very best time of your life, enjoy it while it lasts". That statement always concerned me. Even though I was extremely happy, the thought of never being any happier or more in love was a little unsettling. I don't want to think that the longer we are married, the less we will like each other. I want to believe that over time, life gets better and better, and love in a marriage grows stronger and stronger. I want to believe that.
And now, After only being married for 4 1/2 months, I do believe that's how it is. I have already seen my love for Ryan grow and our relationship become stronger. It's something that we work at and will continue to do forever.
Our marriage isn't perfect. I don't believe that there's such thing as a "perfect marriage". I don't think that two people can just go and sign a paper, and then all of the sudden everything is perfect for them, forever. Every marriage takes work. It takes sacrifice, selflessness, forgiveness and effort. But from my (little bit of) experience, the blessings greatly outweigh the sacrifices.
A lot of people say the first year of marriage is the hardest. So far, if that's the case, things are gonna be smooth sailing for us. Being married has been an easy adjustment for us (Or for me, I guess I can't speak for Ryan on this one). We have learned so much about ourselves and about each other since we have been married. We might be considered rookies in the marriage world, but I think we're off to a great start. We are building a strong foundation, thanks to the gospel, and other great examples in our lives, and I know that whatever trials we may face in our future, we'll get through them together.
"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave" ~Martin Luther

No comments:
Post a Comment